Monday, August 23, 2010

5 Years Have Come And Gone... MY Katrina story. Part 2

On September 12th, I started school at Davy Crockett Elementary School in Marshall, TX.. Meeting my best friend, the person who knows the most about me. The person who knows more about me than I do. Te person who's family came to be my second family. Holly Anne. She told me that God is there no matter what, and that he was watching over me, that that was why my family was safe. That sticks to my memory like nothing else in the world. Its funny how we started out thinking, "Hm.. She seems really nice, I bet she'll never be my friend." Haha.. How wrong we would both turn out to be. We were inseparable past that point. She showed me around. She knew the school like her house. Her dad was the principal of our school. My class was amazing, and Im still really close to most of them to this day.. Mrs. Bates was such an amazing teacher, that she made the class feel like a family. 3 or 4 weeks after the storm my mom and dad went back to our house in New Orleans, to see what was left, and see if they could find our cat.. We werent able to evacuate with him because he got out of the house the day we left.. No such luck.. They were able to get a few of our things, my first guitar, my Angel doll, and a few other special items.. We lost most of our pictures.. We have almost NO baby pictures of me left, if any... One picture of my Grandma left, who died in 2001.. And its not even a good picture, she just happened to be in the frame when it was taken.. Prince, our cat, was no where to be found.. We like to believe that after the storm he was one of the thousands of animals the search and rescue crews saved, or that someone who went through the neighborhoods after saved him and found him a good home.. My life was changed.. All I had left were my family, some of which I didnt know where they were or how they were, a few material possessions, but I wasn't HOME anymore.. I was lost.. I pushed away from everyone except my horses and dogs.. I found a few friends.. One whose grandparents lived down the street from mine, Asia, her grandparents were in town when we went too see my Pawpaw's house. Asia was living in Vegas last I heard. At school, Asia and I were best friends with a girl named Amanda.. To this day, I have no idea what happened to Amanda.. Asia never heard from her.. We dont know if she left before the storm, or didnt get out in time... And most of me WANTS to believe she got out and is living somewhere else happy, but deep down.. Im not so sure.. Her parents didn't want to leave the city.. They had been there for generations, and weren't the kind to evacuate..

Theres part 2... I cant post more than that at once.. It's too overwhelming to remember it all... Especially this close to the anniversary.. More tomorrow.


Lovelovelove,
-T-

1 comment:

  1. Taylor, you are an amazing writer! I am so sorry that your life story had to include chapters like this, but I am so grateful that you had Holly and others like her to remind you that you weren't alone in all this if you didn't want to be. I have never heard anyone's personal story of the evacuation and the aftermath, so though it is painful for you to remember, I'm sure it helps healing too...and I am broken, again, for all those that went through this. (As God wants me to be broken for those who hurt in this world) So...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete